A pet product has been recalled over concerns that consumers may not be aware of a hazardous feature.
Autotecnica Imports’ pet collar with LED lights and pet safety leash with LED lights have been recalled by Product Safety Australia after an issue with the warning labels was discovered.
The label does not include the required information for products containing button or coin batteries.
For more Recalls related news and videos check out Recalls >>
If swallowed, button or coin batteries present a risk of choking, severe internal burn injuries or death.
Severe or fatal injuries can happen in two hours or less.
Consumers may be unaware that the product contains button batteries as a result of the label issue.
The collar and leash were sold in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria at Supercheap Auto, Autobarn and Active Auto Sportique stores from June 1 last year to October 31 of this year.
The recall applies to the blue medium, blue large and red large collars, and the blue and red safety leashes.
Autotecnica Imports’ pet collar with LED lights and pet safety leash with LED lights have been recalled after an issue with the warning labels was discovered. Credit: Product Safety
Button or coin batteries are “worse than your normal battery” if ingested, Australian Veterinary Association President Dr Diana Barker told 7NEWS.com.au.
“They can create a current when they’re ingested with the fluids in the stomach,” she said.
“It can cause burns and perforations of the food pipe, the stomach … within 15 to 30 minutes.”
Owners should keep products containing batteries of any kind out of pets’ reach, Barker said.
“Put them away or up high on a hook,” she said.
Consumers may be unaware that the collar and leash contain button or coin batteries. Credit: Product Safety
While they present a risk, “as with anything, they can create some safety as well,” Barker said.
These products can help owners see their own dogs at the park, but also other dogs when out walking at night.
“(But) people need to be aware that there is that battery in there,” Barker said.
If ingested, owners should take their pet “immediately” to the vet, she said.
“That goes with any battery.”
Consumers can contact the place of purchase for a full refund, or contact Autotecnica to arrange the collection of goods.
Contact Autotecnica on email@example.com or 03 9464 2200 for more information.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.