5 Useful Ways to Deal with Pollen AllergiesFebruary 22, 2021
All types of allergies are hard to deal with all over the world due to the rising pollution; but in developing countries, this issue gets multiplied. It can be due to various reasons like lack of diagnostic abilities, overpopulation, the rapid increase in all types of pollution, or lack of information.
Most of us have been exposed once or twice to any specific allergy, either in childhood or in our teens, the matter is to go back and reflect on whether it got treated or not? Was it diagnosed on time or not? Did you get a doctor on time or not? And many questions will be answered by yourself.
A year back, my 11 years old cousin got enrolled in a college away from home. After about a month living in the hostel, he was ill to an extent that he couldn’t walk without running out of breath. He used to take medicine from a clinic near to his college, thinking that it might be a seasonal issue. When the college doctor came to know about his condition, he involved the principal and the parents of the boy and recommended them to an allergy doctor in Lahore. They brought him back to his hometown, Lahore, for his better treatment.
Lahore is one of the most commercial cities of Pakistan and taking care of an Allergy patient is to keep him away from the dust particles and allergens in the smoke rising from vehicles. But, it had been a blessing for us that the boy could get treated in his own city.
How does Allergy happen?
Allergy is basically a term used for the response our immune system generates against any pathogen or any other foreign substance. As a matter of fact! These foreign substances are not dangerous to us generally! That’s a reason for allergies being very specific person to person.
Diagnosing the Cause of Allergy:
An undiagnosed disease, whether it’s mild or chronic, can have long-term effects. Choosing a doctor and then choosing a hospital matter how fast the cause of the disease is known. Mostly, allergies are detected when someone faces asthma-like symptoms, shortness of breath, itchy and blocked nose, getting eyes and tongue swollen, and watering eyes. Sometimes, we all consider these symptoms as the seasonal flu or fever and fail to get diagnosed.
In our case, it was kind of appalling for all of us that our cousin had Pollen Allergy. An Allergy specialist from Gulab Devi hospital told us about the cause behind all these reactions and different types of allergies.
Types of Allergies:
Allergies are very specific and they vary to every being. Some people are allergic to:
- certain food items
- raw vegetables
- bee and insect stings
Certain things that are quite healthy to someone are dangerous to the other ones like:
- raw fruit
What we got to know about Pollen Allergy?
After the diagnosis of the cause of the allergy, we discussed it with the doctor and he told us some facts about the pollen allergy, its causes, and its effects. He explained to us that every season, plants release pollen grains for the process of fertilizing more plants of the same species. These pollens are adapted so that they stay dormant until the environmental conditions become suitable.
They are mostly in the areas of forests, in plenty of pine trees, and in the hilly areas. Breathing in the pollen-heavy atmosphere causes effects like nasal congestion, runny nose, and shortness of breath leading to mild effects of an allergy.
Ways to Deal with Pollen Allergies:
You were sneezing more, you had a runny nose, ok! you got diagnosed, good! But now how to get yourself treated and how to prevent yourself further from such allergies. Let’s get into a few useful ways to treat pollen allergy and to make it more and more helpful for all of us.
1. Sanitizing Your Necessaries:
- Washing the clothes that you wore outside just to get rid of the pollen if any.
- Trying not to keep the laundry, utensils, and other homely things outside in the wind.
2. Protecting yourself:
- Wearing a mask when you have to go outside in such an area to protect yourself.
- Washing your hands and face after coming from outside to get rid of any stuck pollen.
3. Keeping your Indoors Clean:
- Closing all the windows and doors at night to get rid of the pollen and dust particles present in the wind.
- Cleaning your house deeply, the windows, the floors, and the walls with a disinfectant to maintain hygiene.
4. Starting your medication:
- It’s very vital to go to a doctor, get yourself treated, and not be ignorant in taking care of yourself.
- Try to follow the doctor’s prescription and take your medicine regularly to avoid any difficulties further.
5. Maintaining your Diet:
- The most important thing is to keep yourself aware of which pollen you are allergic to so that you can eat food free from those allergens.
- Prevention is always better than cure, so we should try to avoid the food that triggers the specific allergy.
Regular visits to your doctor and check ups of your body help a lot in preventing unknown and untimely diseases. Keeping yourself aware of your cause of disease and talking to your doctor in case of any abnormality aids you in taking more care of yourself. As our physical health is the first requisite of happiness and everyone is here to be happy!