Two popular dog toys have been recalled from Big W over a potentially deadly feature.
The NERF Dog 4-inch Megaton LED ball in blue/orange and the NERF Dog 12-inch Megaton LED vortex in blue/green were recalled by Product Safety Australia after issues with the warning labels were discovered.
The labels do not feature adequate information for products containing button or coin batteries, which – if swallowed – present a risk of choking, severe internal burns or even death.
For more Recalls related news and videos check out Recalls >>
Severe or fatal injuries can happen in less than two hours.
Pet owners may be unaware the product contains button batteries as a result of the label issue.
The NERF Dog 4in Megaton LED ball in blue/orange and the NERF Dog 12in Megaton LED vortex in blue/green have been recalled after an issue with the warning labels was discovered. Credit: Product Safety Australia
Both toys are supplied by Gramercy Pet Australia to Big W, where they are sold nationally and online.
Button or coin batteries are “worse than your normal battery” if ingested, Australian Veterinary Association President Dr Diana Barker told 7NEWS.com.au.
“They can create a current when they’re ingested with the fluids in the stomach,” she said. “It can cause burns and perforations of the food pipe, the stomach … within 15 to 30 minutes.”
Owners should keep products containing batteries of any kind away from pets, Barker said.
“Put them away or up high on a hook,” she added.
Barker said the lack of a proper warning on the label was a concern – and owners should take their pet to the vet immediately if a battery has been eaten.
Customers can contact Gramercy Pet Australia for a compliant warning label.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.