Australian pet owners are being warned over a common but little-known household danger.
The RSPCA warns a list of popular household plants can be toxic to dogs.
While flowers and plants add colour to your home, many common plants such as lillies, daffodils, hyacinths, wisteria, buttercups and azaleas are among dozens that could be potentially toxic to dogs.
For more Pets related news and videos check out Pets >>
“This doesn’t mean you can’t keep flowers inside or grow a beautiful garden,” the RSPCA said.
“Just choose non-toxic plants or, if you have potentially toxic plants/flowers, make sure your dog can’t get into them.”
A few ideas to keep pets away from your plants may include putting netting or a sturdy cage over flowers, or keeping them in vases and promptly clearing away dead petals and leaves that have fallen off.
Animal Welfare Victoria said will generally dogs will stay away from plants that will cause them harm but “sometimes curiosity and boredom get the better of them” and they may nibble on plants.
“If you suspect that dog has ingested a toxic plant, take it to a vet immediately — if you can, bring a piece of the suspected plant to the vet,” it suggested.
Here is a list of the more common household plants that are toxic to dogs:
autumn crocusazaleasblack locustbleeding heartbuttercupscastor beancherries (wild and cultivated)daffodildaphnedieffenbachia (dumb cane)elderberryelephant earfoxgolvegolden chainhyacinthjack in the pulpitjasminejimson weed (thorn apple)lantana camara (red sage)larkspurlaurelslily of the valleymayapplemistletoemonkshoodmoonseednarcissusnightshadeoak treeoleanderpoison hemlockrhododendronsrhubarbrosary peastar of bethlehemwater hemlockwisteriayew
If your dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have, contact your vet immediately.
“If your dog displays symptoms of toxicity like vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, shaking, restlessness, trouble breathing or seizures, then they may have ingested something they shouldn’t have,” the RSPCA knowledge base says.
“If this is the case, again, it’s important to contact your vet immediately so that your dog can be provided with the care they need.”
If you’re unsure of what treats, toys and objects are safe for your pup, the RSPCA Knowledge Base has more information on what to look out for.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.