WARNING: Distressing content
A distraught woman has warned pet owners about the hidden dangers of leaving dogs in collars at home after her pooch died in a freak accident.
Jess, from the US, made a tearful video explaining how she unexpectedly lost her four-year-old dog after she was strangled when her collar became entangled.
For more Lifestyle related news and videos check out Lifestyle >>
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Dog owner’s tearful warning about collars.
“People can make their assumptions but just know that this is nothing like what you actually think it is,” Jess said in a now-viral video.
“It’s not just a collar getting stuck on something, this was a lot more brutal.”
As she broke down in tears, Jess said her dog’s death was so horrific, she couldn’t put into words what happened.
“I cannot put that on here,” she said emotionally.
“This isn’t the dog owner’s fault, this wasn’t another dog’s fault, we have multiple dogs, this was a freak accident.”
Jess has warned pet owners about the hidden dangers of leaving dogs in collars at home after her pooch died in a freak accident. Credit: @jessalynn
By speaking out, she wanted to warn pet owners that dog collars can be a strangulation hazard at home because it could get caught on furniture or a potentially dangerous obstacle.
“If you’re a dog owner, please take your dog’s collar off when they’re at home, or please have your dogs under supervision when they’re outside, please,” Jess cried.
“The amounts of pets that die every single year due to strangulation because of collars is astronomical.
“Please for the love of god make sure you have a collar that can come off.”
When dogs get stuck while playing, they tend to panic and attempt to free themselves frantically — causing their collars to twist, and tightening their necks further.
She suggested getting a break away collar, which are designed to release under force if your dog or cat ever gets caught on an object — keeping them safe.
The break away collars claim to reduce the risk of choking or strangulation, preventing accidents and injuries that may occur if they get stuck in an object.
‘Please watch your animals’
“There are easy ways to prevent this like getting break away collars or supervising your animals while they’re playing,” Jess said.
“Please make sure you’re watching your animals, please make sure you have break away collars. Otherwise you may be sent home with a bag of fur and nothing else.
“Please get breakaway collars for your dogs. This is your sign if you haven’t already. Please please please keep your furbabies safe.”
Jess has been documenting her grief on social media since losing her pet.
“Everybody keeps telling me losing an animal gets easier — but what if I don’t want it to get easier because it wasn’t suppose to happen,” she said tearfully.
“I have no choice because it can’t get any worse, this is as worse as it can get right now. I have no choice, I can’t go back in time like I wish, I would do a million things to have that dog back.”
‘My heart is broken’
Her video has been viewed more than 4.3 million times — with many devastated over her dog’s death.
“So incredibly sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine the pain. Thank you for the reminder to pet owners,” one shared.
Another said: “My heart is so broken for you. I’m so sorry for your loss. Praying for your healing and comfort.”
One added: “I am so, so sorry. This almost happened to my own dog while she played with another dog. She survived but it was the scariest thing watching her turn purple and her eyes roll back into her head. My dogs hardly ever wear collars unless we’re on a hike.”
Aussie vet nurse Tess Nolan said she never leaves her dog Daphne in a collar unsupervised at home. Credit: Tess Nolan
Australian vet nurse Tess Nolan previously warned owners to never leave dogs in collars unsupervised at home after working with breeds suffered preventable injuries.
“I wouldn’t let her wear a collar or a bandana or anything like that around her neck while she’s at home alone,” Tess said.
“If they get caught on something, it can be a choking hazard.”
For more engaging lifestyle content, visit 7Life on Facebook.